Saturday, January 5, 2013

Premium Rush

I would like to start my snore alerts off with a movie I thought could have been a candidate for the Dark Horse, Premium Rush.  This film follows New York City bike couriers who defy death daily whilst traversing the narrow passages between city cabs and buses  (yeah that's right, I have a college degree!!)  The main character Wilee, played by Joesph Gordon-Levitt (Inception, Looper, Dark Knight Rises) gets himself into trouble with a psychotic cop over a highly sought after package.  When visualizing this film it's not hard to predict the repetition of the events which take place.

Now, I would like to say that the film started out promising, hence the Dark Horse thoughts, but very quickly became boring.  The movie starts off with one of the coolest Rock n' Roll songs, Baba O'Reilly by The Who, so before any image was on my screen I was instantly loving this film, then the images started and I was hooked.  Fast paced cuts and biking sequences followed by clever CGI of GPS route mapping and slow-motion crashes.  Premium Rush had the makings of an intense film which captures the viewer.

About 17 to 20 minutes into the film I soon realized that this was going to be the same thing over and over and over.  Literally if you were to watch the first 20ish minutes of this movie you would have seen basically all that is worth seeing, afterwards your attention becomes drained; you can only watch cycling for so long until you want to change the channel (which is why the Tour de France is only shown in short segments and not in it's entirety.)

So in the end I give this one a snore, just not worth it; however, if you are waiting to be picked up or there is literally nothing better to watch on TV, (and I mean nothing, not even infomercials about the magic bullet) I would pass on this one folks.  Trust the Zzz's, they don't lie.

Final words: first 20ish-minutes!!!!!!!!!! everything else-zzzzzzzzzz....zzzzzzzzzzz
Sorry Joe, I like your work but I don't think you should mention this one in conversations...

Until next time, happy viewing!

Review Rating : Based on popcorn sizes; small, medium, large, extra-large
                           When films get a snore zzz... worth skipping 

No comments:

Post a Comment